Kalburabastı are traditional Turkish pastries that are filled with nuts and soaked in syrup, they are usually made for celebrations such as Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha.
Kalburabastı tastes similar to biscuits but with the texture of pastry, with the walnut centre making it that much more delectable. The word “kalbur” means coarse sieve in Turkish which is what the shape of the dessert was originally created with. Nowadays a grater is used to easily achieve the unique shape of the kalburabastı. Give this recipe a go and you will probably never go back to baking simple biscuits!
157ml - 2/3 cup Sunflower oil
80ml - 1/3 cup Milk
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Baking powder
2 tsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar (optional)
3 tbsp Semolina
420g - 3+1/2 cups Plain flour (All-purpose flour)
95g - ¾ cup approx Walnuts (chopped)
400g - 2 cups Granulated sugar
600ml - 2+1/2 cups Water
A handful Pistachios (opened and crushed)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F/Gas mark 4.
2. Mix together the oil, milk, salt, baking powder, vinegar, and 1 tsp lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
3. Add half of the flour at first and gradually add more until the mixture turns into a slightly sticky dough.
4. Next add the semolina and continue to knead the dough for a few minutes.
5. Cut the dough into equal chunks and roll them into balls.
6. Using the back of a flat grater, press one ball of dough into a flat circle (Don’t press too hard, just until little bumps are formed on the other side from the shape of the grater).
7. Place a few pieces of walnut in the centre of the dough.
8. Close it up by lifting one side of the dough up and folding it over the walnut filling.
9. Carefully take the kalburabastı off the grater and place it on a lined baking tray.
10. Repeat this for each ball of dough and put the tray in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
11. While they are in the oven, add the sugar and the water to a saucepan to make the syrup.
12. Bring the water to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved.
13. When the kalburabastı have baked and are firm to touch, place them in a serving tray, and pour over the warm syrup.
14. Sprinkle the crushed pistachios over each one and cover for about 10 minutes or until the syrup soaks through.
15. Your kalburabastı are now done and are ready to enjoy!